NUISANCE, BAKERS, AND THE STATE OF THE NATION
Edinburgh’s earliest zoo – the Royal Edinburgh Zoological Gardens – was established in 1840 in Broughton Park, on ground now bounded by West Annandale Street, Bellevue Street, Melgund Terrace, and East Claremont Street.
It was never a financial success and closed in 1857, amid widespread and long-standing concerns about the welfare of its specimen species. Financial concerns predominated.
The Lord Provost, Frank Ross, unveiled a commemorative flagstone this morning to honour the bravery of a First World hero.
Sapper Adam Archibald, was born at 24 Shaw's Street in 1879, and later lived at Balfour and Hillhouse Streets. He was awarded the Victoria Cross by King George V in May 1919.
His citation read:
‘What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?’
What would the poet W.H. Davies have to say about so many who now seem umbilically affixed to their mobile phones, as if their very survival depended on them?
How many, while so engaged, never look up or around them when they might discover architectural marvels and throngs of silent watchers over our beautiful city?
And in Broughton Street, for example, how many ghostly survivals of its past will they have missed?
There’s been a very appreciative response to articles in the last two months’ printed Spurtles about the history of houses on Albany Street. So much so, in fact, that we thought readers might be interested to learn more about their author.
Barclay Price has lived in Albany Street for 20 years, having previously lived in London where he worked as a senior Arts administrator.
In Issue 264 (out from 1 July) we published John ‘Jackie’ Hogg’s photo, from 1935, of the Christy brothers in good voice during a children’s sing-song in the back-greens of Broughton Road.
Here we show it again for those who want a closer look.
Hogg sent us two other images which we now publish for the first time. They both date from 1940 and detail ‘Spitfire’ concerts held to raise money for the war effort.