The Society was founded in 1996 to promote an interest in the history of Broughton, and in local history generally. Currently we have a membership of about 60.

We are a friendly group of local (and not so local) people who share an interest in the history of our 'village'.  In the heart of Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, the old village of Broughton on the north-east side was long ago absorbed into the spreading city. But traces remain today and members are involved in researching more of its past.

From September to May we hold a wide-ranging programme of monthly lectures on Monday evenings at Drummond Community High School (see below), and throughout the year organise a number of visits to places of historical interest within the locality.

Membership is open to everyone. Annual subscription is £12 (cheques made payable to Broughton History Society). Benefits include free copies of our Newsletter (click on image or 'Newsletter back issues', top right) with articles of interest contributed by members, free entry to lectures, and priority booking on Society excursions.

Subscriptions are payable in September each year, or on joining.

For further information and/or to join the Society please contact:

Chair: Richard Love,  Tel. 0131 556 1488
Membership Secretary: Helen Chambers, Tel. 0131 557 5973


Visitors and members are welcome at the evening meetings in Drummond Community High School (Bellevue Place) detailed below. Refreshments from 7pm, speaker 7.30pm. Non-members, £2.00.


SESSION 2019–20

9 September: John Hutchinson, The World's First Football Club (1824): John Hope and the Edinburgh Footballers
7 October: Rosemary Goring, Scotland Her Story: the Nation's History by the Women who Lived it
4 November: Charles Everitt, History of Wildlife Crime in Scotland
9 December: Christmas Soiree
13 January: Ian Hooper, Creating the Museum of Scotland
3 February: John Martin, Capital Brewing
2 March: Barclay Price, A Variety of Accomplishments: the 19th Residents of Albany Street
30 March: Anthony Seaton, Farewell King Coal: the Story of the Earth's Most Disruptive Technology
4 May: Gordon Wyllie, The Incorporated Trades of Edinburgh
8 June: AGM and Members' Night







All editions of the Broughton History Society's Newsletter, going back to 1997, can be found in the Edinburgh Room of the Central Public Library, George IV Bridge. Editions from Summer 2007 onwards are available online – click below:

Back issues of the Broughton History Society Newsletter